Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Cristmas Crafts

I love decorating for Christmas, but my main problem is my kids! I had 3 kids in 2 years so we really didn't decorate for years. By the time those three were old enough to get serious about decorating, my little man showed up. Sure we would put up our tree, but only use non breakable decor, and somehow things would still get broken. Now that my little guy is 4, and not touching and putting everything in his mouth, I can get serious about decorating again! Now my problem is funding. With 4 kids, and extended family to buy presents for that leaves my decorating budget seriously lacking. So I have decided to start turning my items on hand into Christmas decor.

I started with this wreath:


My daughter Jenna bought this for me last year. She was participating in a church group and earned bucks to spend at a Christmas store. She saved all of her bucks and bought everyone gifts. I was so proud of her using her money for others instead of herself! I gladly hung it on my wall and enjoyed that proud Mama feeling every time I looked at it. I sat her down and explained that I wanted to start making items I have into Christmas decor and she gladly offered her wreath for my first experiment. After a lengthy trip to Hobby Lobby(seriously, who can get through that store in under an hour?) I walked out with some embellishments for 50% off!

So first step was removing all the previous decor from the wreath. I was lucky they used pipe cleaners to attach most of it. There was some glue, but it easily came off. With a good dusting it was just like new.


The only supllies I needed was:
Christmas ribbon
2 poinsettia flowers
1 mistletoe
Wire
Wire cutters
Wreath


I started with the ribbon. I just attached parts of the ribbon with the wire to the wreath in spaces a couple of inches apart. I made sure the wire was hidden underneath the ribbon. After the ribbon was attached I added the flowers and mistletoe. Again, I just attached them to the wreath with the wire, making sure to hide the wire.

Here is what it looked like when I was done:


I love the fact that I used no glue for this! When Christmas is over I will have no problem taking off the embellishments and converting it to a winter theme.

Here it is hanging on my front door:


Not only do I love my new wreath, but Jenna is very happy with how it came out. I know when I want to change it. she will be more than happy helping pick out the new embellishments!

Have you made any new crafts for Christmas this year? I would love to hear and see your crafty items!!!


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful wreath! I love the fact that you use no glue and can transform it to a new look when you want to. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete