Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Quilled Surfboad

I really had a fun time putting together this surfboard. I requested to join an online auction and the theme was Fun in the Sun. There were so many ideas for to me to choose from, but I am glad I chose the surfboard.

To make the shape I started making an outline with pins on a styrofoam board. I was afraid if I just placed the paper down freehand it would end up to uneven. After I placed the pins I wrapped the paper strips around it.


The next step was to put some glue onto the top of the strips and then carefully place the canvas tile on top. I let the glue set for an hour, then flipped the whole piece and took off the styrofoam board.


Now comes the designs. I chose grey, coral, blue, and white with a little touch of yellow. I knew I wanted a flower shaped like this and thought it would look great toward the top.


I wanted the surfboard broken up into three sections. Each section would get a flower. Once I added the middle flower I knew that top flower had to be moved up more.


Here is the lower flower.


I filled in the top flower with some honeycombs.


A lot of times I will lay out my strips and see how it looks before I glue it down. After seeing this I decided it needed to be filled in a lot more.


I think it looked much better with more coils.


I did the top and bottom greys, then started the blues.


 I had a really hard time deciding on the middle section. I originally wanted to have it fully white. After I laid it out you couldn't see the flower well. In order to break up all the white I threw in some coral S's.


Here is middle filled in.


The waves turned out so much prettier than I planned. They have to be my favortie part of this piece.


Here it is all framed and ready for auction!


This is my only surfboard and I may not make another. If I do it will be a completely different design. It can only be bought in this weekend's auction June 27-30 at Auction Junkies Facebook page.

What do you think of this Surfboard?

2 comments: